Great Wolf Lodge offers wildlife-themed rooms, an amazing water park, and more for potential guests, just an hour from bustling Boston.
Northeast water park resorts are often limited by weather and their out-of-park experience, but not the Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg, MA.
New England is famous for its unpredictable weather, which often means water parks are booked for a brief mid-summer window, but Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg, Massachusetts offers an indoor water park and a year-round resort experience. Weather is no longer a factor for those looking for a little escape in the heart of beautiful Massachusetts.
Surrounded by thick New England forests, Great Wolf Lodge offers the feeling of wilderness adventure with all the luxuries of a water park. Great Wolf Lodge also offers fun and engaging activities for kids with their MagiQuest adventure and other family activities that will help whet your appetite for their variety of family dining experiences.
A practical wolf-themed getaway just an hour from Boston
Located in Fitchburg, central Massachusetts, just off Route 2, thirty minutes north of Worcester and just one hour west of Boston, the Great Wolf Lodge is both convenient and scenic. Great Wolf Lodge offers a mix of wet and dry activities for all ages.
The water park may be the main draw, but it’s far from the only attraction. MagiQuest, Great Wolf Lodge’s live action role-playing game is unique and imaginative, turning the entire resort into a magical quest in which you are the hero. Great Wolf Lodge also offers a variety of engaging events and attractions that will keep you entertained even after you wipe yourself dry.
The water park
Great Wolf Lodge has an almost entirely indoor water park with fourteen different sections offering varying degrees of thrills, suitable for toddlers through to adults who are looking for perhaps a bit more excitement or just a bit of relaxation. There’s Fort Mackenzie which offers families a chance to venture through the water fort full of all sorts of ways to get soaked. Then there’s Crooked Creek, a lazy river tubing ride that lets you just float and relax. For thrill seekers, there’s Wolf Tail, Wolf Creek’s high-speed waterslide that’s sure to up the excitement level.
- Fort Mackenzie – (Thrill level: low) A water play fort suitable for families, children and toddlers.
- Pond Slap Tail – (Thrill level: medium) A shallow wave pool suitable for families, children and teenagers.
- cooked stream – (Thrill level: low) A lazy river ride suitable for families, adults, teenagers and children.
- River Canyon Run – (Thrill level: medium) A water slide suitable for families and adults.
- whooping hollow – (Thrill Level: Low) A small beginner water slide suitable for children and toddlers.
- wolf tail – (Thrill level: high) A high-speed water slide suitable for families and teenagers.
- And more…
MagiQuest is a live role-playing game that allows children to live their own adventure in which they are the hero. They will be able to choose their own wand and unique abilities as they venture into Great Wolf Lodge on their magical quest through the imaginative land of Vellara. They will help the Guardians protect the Kingdom of Portals, befriend the Treetop Pixies, fight the evil dragon, Charlock, recover the stolen jewels taken by the Goblin King, and earn the title of Master Magi! This is a truly unique experience that will capture any child’s imagination. They can even keep their wand, take it and their souvenirs home!
- Magic wand: $15.99-$22.99 + tax
- Game: $14.99 + tax
Related: Plymouth City Center Is The Perfect Beach Town, But Is It Worth Visiting? This route says ‘Yes’
Events and Attractions in Great Wolf
Once you’ve wiped off the water park or finished your MagiQuest, you and your family will still have plenty to do at the Great Wolf Lodge. For events, you can enjoy a bit of yoga, maybe take pictures with the Great Wolf Lodge characters, do crafts, or maybe catch one of the shows. For attractions, there’s the bowling alley, Oliver’s Mining Co. dig site, ropes course, arcade, theater and more!
- yoga tails
- Character appearances
- Arts and Crafts
- Wiley’s Screaming Bingo
- The Northwoods Friends Show
- The Forest Friends Show
- story time
- A dancing parties
- Olive’s Mining Co.
- yoga tails
- build a bear
- Rustic Ridge Climbing
- Alley of ten legs
- Howlers Peak Rope Course
- Arcade of the Northern Lights
- Howlin’ Timbers Playground
- Howly Wood Theater XD
- Laser Frenzy
- Howl at the Moon Mini Golf
Family dinner at the Great Wolf Lodge
Food is never to be overlooked when it comes to choosing a resort and Great Wolf Lodge offers an excellent variety of dining options. There’s also a mix of family and kid-friendly options while still having a few choices for adults. Of course, it’s New England, so they have a trusty Dunkin’ Donuts, too.
- Lodge wood-fired grill – Premium wood-fired steaks, freshly caught seafood and smoked ribs.
- Wachusett Brewing Barn – Catch a game, play games and taste local craft beers.
- Incredible Craveable Buckets – No need to leave the water park for a bite to eat when these all-time favorites are so close.
- hungry like a wolf – Excellent food for the whole pack. Great pizzas, salads and pasta dishes the whole family can share.
- Candy and bear paw eats – Take a break from your day to treat yourself or end your day with something sweet.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – Get your cup of coffee or a favorite treat, all conveniently located at the lodge.
Plan your visit
Whether you are visiting Great Wolf Lodge for a full day, half day or a little more, there will be accommodation for you. They have beautiful costumes as well as party rooms for birthdays. They also constantly offer offers and discount codes for all types of visitors.
10 places to see before they’re gone forever
About the Author