Third-graders at Jacoby Creek School who ingested edibles are doing well – Times-Standard

0

Third-grade students admitted to hospital after ingesting cannabis edibles at school have been released and are in good health.

On Thursday, three students from Jacoby Creek School were taken for medical attention after they began showing signs of intoxication in class after ingesting edibles a classmate had in their possession. The student shared the edibles with four other students during their snack recess without knowing the cannabis content.

Now that the scare has passed, Jacoby Creek Superintendent and Principal Melanie Nannizzi has confirmed that the students in question are safe and sound.

“All the students are doing well,” she told The Times-Standard by phone Friday afternoon.

In an email sent the day of the incident, Nannizzi informed the parents of the events. Initially, the classroom was evacuated and firefighters were contacted for fear of exposure to carbon monoxide. After it was determined that the children with symptoms had consumed the edibles, their parents were contacted. The remaining students returned to class.

“This was a frightening incident for our entire school community,” Nannizzi’s letter states.

The Arcata Police Department is currently investigating the event after the superintendent contacted the agency. Arcata officer Heidi Groszmann told The Times-Standard.

“We assumed (the edibles) were from someone’s house,” the officer said.

The investigation is ongoing and Groszmann encourages community members to provide any relevant information.

The officer also said that parents and other adults consuming cannabis products should know where they store these products.

“It’s a friendly reminder to store them in a safe place away from children because obviously they come in the form of candy,” she said.

Mario Cortez can be reached at 707-441-0526.

Share.

Comments are closed.