On Sunday, Avenues held the 34th annual rubber duck race in Saint Clair.
The day’s festivities began in the Walmart parking lot where a basket auction was held with food and vendors. WMGH provided music and broadcast live from the event. A basket raffle was also held.
Many people had the opportunity to have their picture taken with Ducky Do Good while entering to win a prize and enjoying the many presentations and great food at the event.
The highlight of the day was the Rubber Ducky Race scheduled to start at 3:32 p.m. where over 4,000 ducks were thrown into Mill Creek. The ducks rushed to the Terry Rich Boulevard bridge.
Members had raised money by selling rubber duckies for $5 for the past two months. Over 500 ducks were sold at the event on Sunday alone. The prize, $2,022 in cash to the person who bought the duck, arrived first at the finish line.
Kimberly S. Noel, Avenues Marketing and Special Events Manager, says, “We are so grateful to all of the sponsors, companies, organizations and individuals who support this event each year. We hope everyone enjoyed this year’s duck race as much as we did.
All ducks were retrieved from the creek after the race.
Avenues of PA supports people of all ages with developmental disabilities. They offer employment to people who are willing and able to participate.
They also have adult training facilities to help with activities of daily living.
Their outlets include Lessie’s Garden and Gift Shop in Pottsville, Expressions in Shenandoah, and Valley Treasures in Valley View. Avenues staff and patrons operate the Schuylkill County Courthouse Canteen. Their workshops can provide assembly for companies, shredding, cleaning and other services.
The First Friends daycare center and two adult daycare centers are also part of the Avenues programs. Their employees even run the driver’s license centers of several counties.
Avenues of PA is a non-profit organization serving Schuylkill, Luzerne, Carbon and Northumberland counties. They have ongoing events and fundraisers. They are also always looking for volunteers. For more information Avenues, please call 570-622-7920 x 111.
This year’s winners were:
** Donor in brackets, winner in bold
- $2022 (aves) Larry Beltz
- Kalahari – 6 All Day Water Park Passes (Avenues Programs) John Toomey
- Kalahari – 1 Night Stay 2 Bedroom/Bath (Avenues Programs) Anna-Marie Riotto
- Northwoods Trail Seeker Men’s Mountain Bike (Broad Mt. Landscaping) Lurwick
- Iron Valley Golf Club – 1 round of golf for up to 4 players (Iron Valley Golf Club) Letitia Reiser
- Pioneer Class D Subwoofer (12 Volt Dave’s Audio) Bobbie Jo Hoffman
- Umbrella and chair Yuengling (Yuengling) Sarah Orosco
- Summer Waves 10′ x 30″ Inflatable Pool (Pine Grove SPCA) Kelly Moyer
- Celebration and discovery of the Schuylkill Racquet Club (Bucks Schuylkill Racquet Club) Norm Riegel
- Wine and dinner gift basket (Wegmans) Preparation of Shane
- PA Tour Package (Old Jail Museum, Grim Philly, Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center) Tina Hosler
- Hidden Valley Golf Course – 2 weekday rounds with cart and 1 dozen balls (Hidden Valley Golf Course) Sharon Salvadore
- Yuengling Gas Grill Rack (Yuengling) Michele Banting
- Scentsy Basket (Jessica Harper) Jane Spink
- Dutch Wonderland (Dutch Wonderland) Marc Ketch
- Yuengling Charcoal Grill and BBQ Set (Yuengling) Barbara Castiglione
- Cool box and snacks Yuengling Coleman (Yuengling) Terrie Rogers
- Yuengling Soft Grizzly (Yuengling) Lester Bowman
- Lehigh Adventure Package (Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs Lehigh Valley Zoo) Mary Mason
- RailRider’s and Snacks (RailRider’s, Deep Creek Graphics) Leo Keller
- Fightin Phils and Snacks (Fightin Phils, Deep Creek Graphics) Charlie N.
- Yums Package (Market Square Cafe, Dunkin’, Mama Millies Bakery, C&C Candy) Peg Kouri
- Child package (First Friends Daycare, Porcupine Pat, Lake Tobias) Billy Robinson
- Relax and snack (Emily Cantor, Kayla Hope, Boyer’s Food Markets) Stephanie Nunley
- Grocery Package (Boyer’s Food Markets, BGs, Redner’s Warehouse Markets) Micah Gursky
- Hazleton Night Out (The Pines Alta Pizzeria & Pasta House) Howie Merrick
- Slowest Molasses and Duck Turtle (Avenues) rose room