Arrest made in connection with Sacramento mass shooting

0

SACRAMENTO, Calif.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Sacramento police announced an arrest Monday related to the shooting that killed six people and injured a dozen others in the heart of California’s capital as at least two shooters fired more 100 rounds and people ran for their lives. .

Police said they booked 26-year-old Dandre Martin as a “linked suspect” for assault with a deadly weapon and being a convict carrying a loaded weapon. Detectives and SWAT team members found a handgun during searches of three homes in the area.

The arrest came as the six slain victims were identified in the shooting that happened around 2 a.m. Sunday as bars closed and patrons filled the streets near the state Capitol.

The Sacramento County coroner identified the three women killed as 21-year-old Johntaya Alexander; Melinda Davis, 57; and Yamile Martinez-Andrade, 21. The three men killed were Sergio Harris, 38; Joshua Hoye-Lucchesi, 32; and Devazia Turner, 29.

The burst of rapid gunfire sent terrorized people into the neighborhood just blocks from the Golden One Arena, where the NBA’s Sacramento Kings held a minute’s silence for the victims ahead of their game on Sunday night.

Detectives were trying to determine if a stolen handgun found at the crime scene was linked to the shooting, Police Chief Kathy Lester said. She pleaded with the public to share videos and other evidence that could lead to the killers.

“The scale of the violence that has just happened in our city is unprecedented in my 27 years here,” Lester told reporters at a news conference at police headquarters. “We are shocked and heartbroken by this tragedy.”

Martin was held without bail and was scheduled to appear in Sacramento Superior Court on Tuesday, according to prison records. His criminal record was not disclosed, but records showed he was also wanted on a misdemeanor warrant by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department in Southern California.

It was not immediately clear if Martin had an attorney who could speak on his behalf.

Of the 12 injured, at least four suffered serious injuries, the Sacramento Fire Department said. At least seven of the victims had been released from hospitals on Monday.

At the scene where chaos erupted, the streets were reopened on Monday and police tape was removed.

On sidewalks where video had shown victims writhing in pain, memorials began to sprout with candles, balloons, flowers and stuffed animals honoring the lives lost. A balloon carried a message saying in part: “You will forever be in our hearts and thoughts. Nothing will ever be the same.”

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg and other city officials have decried the escalating violence in the city while urging people to keep coming downtown for events like NBA games and performances of the Broadway musical “Wicked”.

“We can never accept it as normal and we never will,” Steinberg said of the shooting. “But we also have to live our lives.”

The gunshots broke out just after a fight broke out on a street lined with an upscale hotel, nightclubs and bars and police said they were investigating whether the altercation was related to the shooting. Witness video posted on social media showed rapid gunfire lasting at least 45 seconds as people screamed and ran for cover.

The gunshots surprised sleeping guests at the Citizen Hotel, which included a wedding party and fans of rapper Tyler the Creator, who had performed at a concert hours earlier.

From his window on the fourth floor of the hotel, Kelsey Schar, 18, said he saw a man running while shooting a gun. She could see flashes of the weapon in the darkness as people ran for cover.

Schar’s friend, Madalyn Woodward, said she saw a girl who appeared to have been shot in the arm lying on the ground. Security guards from a nearby nightclub rushed to help the girl with what looked like towels to try and stop the bleeding.

Sunday’s violence was the third time in the United States this year that at least six people have been killed in a mass shooting, according to a database compiled by The Associated Press, USA Today and Northeastern University. And it was the second mass shooting in Sacramento in the past five weeks.

President Joe Biden called for action on gun crimes in a statement on Sunday.

“Today, America once again mourns another community devastated by gun violence,” Biden said. “But we need to do more than cry; we have to act.”

On February 28, a father killed his three daughters, a chaperone, and himself at a Sacramento church during a weekly supervised visitation. David Mora, 39, was armed with a homemade semi-automatic rifle-type weapon, despite being under a restraining order that prohibited him from owning a firearm.

On Sunday, the crime scene spanned two city blocks, shutting down much of downtown. The bodies remained on the sidewalk throughout the day as Lester said investigators worked to deal with a “really complex and complicated scene” to ensure investigators gathered all the evidence possible to “see the perpetrators of this crime brought to justice”.

Councilwoman Katie Valenzuela, who represents the area, said she had received too many phone calls reporting violence in her district during her 15 months in office. She cried at a press conference when she told reporters the last phone call woke her up at 2.30am on Sunday.

“I am heartbroken and outraged,” she said. “Our community deserves better than this.”

___

Associated Press writers David Klepper in Providence, Rhode Island, and Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

Adam Beam and Kathleen Ronayne, Associated Press













Share.

Comments are closed.